Description of the project in the framework of Self-Study Online
Name of course: Model concepts and simulation methods for single-phase and multi-phase flow
Type of course: lecture / online-seminar
In the study programme of: UMW, WAREM, BAU
The aim is to offer a course which is simultaneously held for students in Germany (environmental engineering, WAREM, civil engineering) and for students at four partner universities in the US.
The course is obligatory for german students.
The course materials are to prepared in such a way, that a subdivision in learning modules (for self study) is possible.
The participants are provided with a course plan, where the respecitve modules and the time schedule are listed.
After some modules, exercises are given.
They have to be worked on by the sutdents individually and they have to be passed in via the internet.
Also the German students get the course plan and the exercises and they also have to hand in the solutions via the internet.
By offering the course materials for the German and American students in the same place and by creating corresponding forums where a discussion about the exercises is possible, we hope for a stronger binding of the online students and an exchange between the two groups of students.
What makes your project special?
A course is given at the same time for students in Germany (classical lecture) and in the USA (online seminar).
- For the american students, the course is made up of learning modules which have to be worked on independently.
- The same learning modules are also used for the german students for repetition of the material and for structuring the course.
- All students have to answer questions to the modules and hand in their results.
Use of multi-media and internet technology
- Internet is used for providing the course material (BCSW)
- Distribution of the exercises / comments on the exercises / corrections by the tutor is done via the internet
- Video conferences are held to bring together the lecturors/tutors and the participants (beginning - middle - end of course)
- Support for the students via the internet because of spacial and temporal distance. Here, we will try to also integrate the german students in the online support.
- The content of the course is organized in different modules - better overview for students and lecturor
- Media competence of students is increased, as the passing out of the exercises and the handing in is done via the internet.
- Media competence of students is increased, as a participation to the forum is encouraged.
- Media competence of the lecturors/tutors is increased by gathering experiences with support via forum, chat, video conference